Wednesday 23 February 2011

Little things

It is a commonplace observation that misery is more prevalent in the affluent West than in the East, in Africa or other places materially less blessed. It also seems to be true that my generation in the West wallows in misery with greater enthusiasm than my father's generation. Sometimes this is taken as evidence that we miserati are degenerate, weak and somehow inferior to those that have been unhappy before us.

About three weeks ago the windscreen wipers on my Land Rover broke. Since then, I have been driving around in the rain, mud and slush barely able to see where I have been going. Yesterday the vehicle was serviced and the wipers replaced. Today I drove up to Guildford and back and, I swear, the first half hour of the journey I turned the wipers on and off and repeatedly pressed the screen wash button, just for the hell of it. Nothing has given me as much pleasure, for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment