Wednesday 24 November 2010

In my greenhouse

My greenhouse
In a turbulent world, everyone needs a sanctuary. My greenhouse is my sanctuary. The structure is a thing of beauty, designed and built for me by Hartley Botanic. The long axis is oriented east-west, to take full advantage of our anaemic northern light. Both north and south elevations are lined with brick cold frames, where I germinate my most precious or vulnerable seeds. Inside the only noise is the hum of the fans that run continuously, gently circulating the air and discouraging pests and diseases. The benches are provided with heating mats, although they are turned off for most of the year. The irrigation system hums into life according to a program that I vary through the seasons. There are overhead lights, which supplement natural daylight during the winter months and encourage winter-growing bulbs to prosper. Underneath the benches are deep sand beds where dormant plants enjoy a constant, cool environment. It is a marvellous luxury, for me and the plants that I love to grow.

Although large by most standards, space in the greenhouse is always at a premium and I constantly juggle the plants that I accommodate in these five star conditions. I am currently indulging a growing infatuation with the genus Arum and about a third of the longest bench is given over to pots of a dozen or so species. November is perhaps the nadir of the flowering calendar and it is satisfying to go into the greenhouse and be reminded that green is the dominant and most soothing colour in the plant kingdom.

I collected the plant below in south east Slovenia. It is a particularly attractive form of Arum italicum, which has not flowered yet for me. Who cares? The mottled foliage is reason enough to grow it.

Arum italicum - collected SE Slovenia




When I have figured out how to insert a gizmo in the right hand column of this blog, I intend to post a new picture of what's happening in the greenhouse as frequently as I can. Keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment